Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Fanning the magical flames of Christmas

Pearl and I made a trip to Walgreen's the other night.
They have quite an array of Holiday items,
and Pearl was pointing out every glittery thing we passed.
There was a certain item that quickly made it's way into her heart.
It was one of those music playing snow globes--
with three really cheap looking Disney princesses fixed into the center.
She told me she had seen one at the Walgreen's in California with Nana,
and hoped we could find one here.  She gasped when she saw it.
She picked it up, gave it a good shake and watched
 the little white specks flutter inside the glass ball.

Her eyes lit up, as she timidly asked if Santa could bring one to her.
"Oh, we'll have to see." I told her, noting where it was on the shelf.
Then we purchased some lights for the porch, and made our way to the car.

I buckled Pearl in, and reached for the ignition just as I heard a faint
"Can you open this please?"
There, gripped the the palm of that tiny little hand was
 a jumbo-sized lollipop. Not one of those huge flat circle lollis...
but one of those big round ball lollipops.
From the brown and white swirls, 
I'd say she picked the root beer flavor-- her favorite.

We marched right back into the store and she placed the lolli
right where she found it.  She headed for the door,
and I steered her to the register where I told the clerk
 of our "sticky-finger" situation.
I scooted Pearl forward as she very quietly said sorry to the store clerk--
 who really didn't give a hoot...
but the elderly woman checking out at the register looked back at me
 with one of those knowing "I've been there," types of smiles.

We got back in the car, and had a good long talk on shop-lifting!

Then I explained to Pearl how sad it was that she did that--
because now Santa wasn't going to be able to bring her 
that {semi poor quality} snow globe since stealing was on the
 "naughty list" of things to do.

She didn't say a word.

We drove across the highway, and up over the overpass--

and then she spoke...

"The North Pole is really far away." she said, pretty matter of fact.
I waited for her to expand on that statement...
"The North Pole is really far away,
 and Santa can't see me because he's not in the sky yet."

Well I'll be darned.

She had a point.  
I wanted to laugh, but instead I did what I thought would be
 in the best interest of a daughter with questions,
and a mother without any answers...
I broke into singing "Santa Claus is coming to Town."
I got uncomfortably louder at the whole
"He sees you when you're sleeping,
 he knows when you're awake,
he knows if you've been bad or good,
 so be good for goodness sake!" part.
I think I even flapped my hand around to the beat a bit,
and looked back at her through the mirror for effect.

She joined in on the singing, and that was that.
So thank you to the writer of that blessed song.
You made a believer out of a skeptical four year old.




4 comments:

grandma to 16 said...

Stacey, this is priceless!!! What a good mommmy you are!!! I'm sure Pearl learned many lessons, but will always remember her mommy singing with her afterwards!! (smile) I loved this blog~

Cathy Bubert said...

Stacey you are the best Mom! Pearl is soooo precious and is so blessed to have you to love and guide her! xoxo

Cher said...

way to think on your feet. I might have to try that. :)

weston'smommy said...

Been there done that. Got to love those mommy moments. Good job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...