Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fall + Apples = Happy Memories

Dear Mrs. Cavanaughs,
you had me at fresh dipped caramel apples.
Oh Mrs. Cavanaughs, a place where dreams are made of.
Rumor has it, 
{as in one of my young women from my old ward who used to work there told me...}
Mrs. Cavanaughs is a favorite of our beloved President Monson,
who gives their chocolates as Christmas gifts,
and chooses their sugar free selection of goodies for himself.
To me, Mrs. Cavanaughs and happy childhood memories go hand in hand.
What, with the personalized bunny shaped mindy-mint the Easter Bunny left
every year-- adorned with each child's name in a thin ribbon of frosting.
Or the package of soft, perfectly sweet caramel popcorn
 my Mom would occasionally buy, and share with everyone...
but most of all it was coming home from school on rare occasions to find
a freshly dipped caramel apple sitting on the counter.
I'm talking freshly dipped in a thick coating of 
soft, buttery, melt in your mouth, deliciousness.
We all cut away at it one wedge at a time.
It never lasted more than a day.

I saw the sign, and I had to stop.
I let Pearl pick out a treat for her and Violet. 
 She skipped right over all of the pretty things,
and went for a push pop, and sixlets.
 As for me, I picked the caramel apple--
and I didn't share a bite.

3 comments:

the Horton Hurricane said...

mindy mints make me happy and candy corns make me smile :)

grandma to 16 said...

yummy..............it has a certain smell, doesn't it!

I think memories are tied to smells so strongly! Pearl looked so cute in her plaid coat~

Cathy Bubert said...

I feel like I am right there with you! President Monson has good taste (and so do you)! xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...