Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th

I was a senior in high school on September 11th 2001.
I had just walked out of English, and I was on my way outside--
 when Sean Kelly caught me in the stairwell.
"Did you hear what happened?!  
An airplane crashed into the World Trade Center, and it exploded!
Then another plane crashed into the second tower. 
 President Bush is somewhere flying around in Air Force One, to keep him safe."
I remember my first thought was that a pilot had just lost control of a plane,
and how terrible that was...
until he got to the part about the second plane, and flying the President to safety.
Then I got the eeriest feeling.
What was happening?!  
Terrorist attacks was probably about the furthest thing
 from my mind before that day.
I drove to beauty school, and we all crammed into the back room around a t.v. 
with terrible reception.  It was so fuzzy, we could hardly make anything out of it--
but we saw enough, and we were scared.
My Mom told me stories about people who were
 supposed to be in the towers that morning,
and slept through their alarms, or other instances that kept them safe.
What a strange feeling that would be,
 to know you could have lost your life that day but didn't.
And what about those who didn't make it out of there alive?
All of the stories about those who died paint a picture of courageous people,
who I'm sure were meant to be where they were at that very moment.
I loved the story about Todd Beamer
one of the men who foiled the plans of the hijackers on flight 93--
 headed for the Pentagon.
The last recorded words are of him saying:
"Are you guys ready?  Let's roll."
There were so many heroes born that day.
Some I'm sure who never thought they'd be put in a position to be so.
I am thankful for them, and my heart goes out to their families.
We are a changed nation because of that day.
I think are eyes were opened to the evil in this world--
but also the good.
Ten years have passed, and it is still so fresh.
I will never forget that day.


1 comment:

Cathy Bubert said...

What a great tribute. Thanks Stacey!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...