Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Leaving the Nest.

Well... the day has come.
Our firstborn is now old enough to
 attend school!
I'm excited for all of the things she will learn,
the experiences she will have, and the friends she will make...
but with that comes lessons learned the hard way,
choices she'll regret, hurt feelings, and heartbreak--

but man, she'll have fun.

It's something we all go through, and learn from--
but it's hard to pull the safety net out from under your little one,
knowing that it's going to hurt a little.

As I was getting Pearl ready this morning,
her smile stretched from ear to ear.
Bright eyed, and ready to take on the world.
I felt an ache in my heart, wanting to keep her safely at home.
I watched Kelly stare at her bouncing around in excitement.
"If anybody's mean to her, I'll kill 'em."
He said very matter of fact, and then left the room--
and well, that just about summed it up.
A couple of weeks ago Pearl was 
singing her little heart out
to Sesame Street's "Sing a Song."
You know the song I'm talking about...
I waited for her to belt out:
"Don't worry if it's not good enough,
 for anyone else to hear--
just sing... sing a song."
I hugged her so tight and told her how important,
and special she is,
and to never forget it.  
No matter what anybody says.
I walked her into her class and she hung her backpack on the rack,
just as her teacher said.  She paused for a minute,
looking at her backpack, and then nervously up at me.
Go ahead honey, have fun.
She faced her class and walked right in.
She was ready, and when it came down to it, I was too.
It helped to have her cousin Kelsey right by her side.
These two are going to have a lot of fun together.
I came home to my baby, 
who will only stay a baby for a blink of an eye.
With Pearl in school, 
she thinks she rules the nest now.
Oh wait, she always did...

While we anxiously awaited to hear all about Pearl's first day,
Kelly took us to get some lunch.
I said "you're the father of a school aged child."
{I said this with my camera ready because I knew a face would follow.}
Here's what I got:
Then I asked Violet what she thought about 
her sister attending school.
She seemed indifferent.

I watched Pearl's class come outside,
and saw kids bolting out the door left and right.
Pearl's eyes scanned the area and I waved to her.
"Mommy, Mommy!"
She came running with her oversized backpack.
She was happy!  I was happy!
Hooray for school!!

Here's a little video of the first day.


6 comments:

Cathy Bubert said...

Good job Kelly and Stacey - you have prepared her well. Pearl is ready to fly. xoxo Nana

grandma to 16 said...

Most awesome post!!! I was laughing and crying at the same time, I think I saw her all grown up?! ....... and leaving for college? ( yikes )

Mike and Brit Harris said...

What a darling post and video! It helps to have a picture perfect little girl though!

Cody said...

This is too flippin cute. I'm so glad Pearl had a great first day.

Cathy Bubert said...

I can't get enough of Pearl's video! I keep watching it over and over . . . PRECIOUS!!!!

And, Lizzy, Doyle, Logan, and Andy said...

everytime I see pearl I re-remeber that she is sooooooooo cute! And I want her to be my daughter in law!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...