Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Kate's debut, and learning how to trust.

Last night our niece Katelyn
had her very first violin recital.
She walked onto the stage, and stopped just to the right of the spotlight.
I think those five year old nerves wouldn't let her go a step further.

She announced her name and song as quiet as a mouse,
then played her number with the confidence of a ten year old.
She played very well,
and finished her performance with a proper bow.
I was thankful to be tucked safely in the basement of our public library,
watching these starry eyed children show off their hard earned talent--
with my family.
Something that would seem like a simple and
ordinary occurrence by any account,
but when I think of the devastation that's going on across the world--
I feel a nudging in my heart to be thankful for my life as it is right now.

I finally watched footage of the tsunami--
the gliding houses looked like crumbs being brushed off of a table.
It is absolutely humbling to me.
To think of the forces that are capable of that damage.
I can't even fathom the fear, the loss, and the pain they are suffering.

How small are we?
I wonder how the world can watch events like these,
and not believe in God.
He gives and he gives,
but he can also take away.

Kelly's cousin was recently diagnosed with cancer.
She was 19 weeks pregnant,
and the baby girl didn't survive the treatment needed to save her Mother's life.
It hurts my heart that she has had to suffer physically,
as well as taking on the heartache that comes with losing a child.
*****
I can't imagine the strength that is needed to press forward in a life as a
young mother raising three boys alone--
as our friend will be doing after losing her husband to a list of illnesses.
******
I think of how the Carvers are taking on the fight against Leukemia--
to save their sweet daughter Cami's life.
She has been so brave, and overcome so much.
I can't imagine how hard it would be to watch your child
suffer through the treatments as she has.
Sometimes I feel weighed down with the trials that we, people close to us--
and across the world have to bare.
I have found myself praying for people that I know
many others are praying for too.
But I know there is a plan that is so much bigger than we are,
and it doesn't always have the ending that we want.
I know that even through our trials,
we can grasp onto the happiness, comfort, strength, and peace--
that we are all entitled to as children of God.
The trying times in my life are the times I've offered my most sincere prayers,
and felt closer than I've ever felt to my Heavenly Father.
We aren't given trials to punish us--
They come to us to help us grow,
and to learn to trust in the Lord.
He will sustain us through our hardship,
and help us to see the good
and the beauty that is still around us.

And really--
there is so much.


~ love and prayers to Japan~

8 comments:

grandma to 16 said...

Stacey, no one could have said it more eloquently!! What a beautiful blog to start my day~

Cathy Bubert said...

So beautifully said! The photos are amazing! We are praying too.

Habs said...

Thanks for your post. I'm so grateful all of our missionaries have been kept safe. The people of Japan really do need our prayers.

Habs said...

P.S. This is Ashley Passey.

the Horton Hurricane said...

I love it!! Thanks for this today. I love you guys

Jessica Duff said...

Very beautiful words Stacey.

Katrina Mortensen said...

This was a very nice post. Thanks for posting it!!

Shell said...

Priceless. Thank you Stace!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...