Saturday, July 17, 2010

Operation Diary

I have been waking up in excruciating pain
twice a week for the past six weeks.
I had never experienced this until Violet was born.
An ultrasound showed that I was having gall stone attacks,
and my gall bladder needed to come out.
Thursday was a very unpleasant day spent at the hospital.
They had us arrive at 12:00 p.m., for my 3:00 surgery. 
Kelly and I sat in the pre-op room and talked, 
and looked at magazines.
Then he told me we could go get a 
Zamba Juice when it was all over.
I looked at him and asked if he meant Jamba Juice.
Come to find out, he meant Keva Juice all along.
That sounded good, so I called sister Shelly,
 who stocked the freezer with Lime-me's and Peach Treaties.

Around 3:20 they wheeled the bed in to take me to the Operating Room.
We dropped Kelly off in the waiting room, 
and kept rolling down the hall.
They weren't ready for me, so they parked me outside the door.
I talked to my surgeon Dr. Rees, 
and anesthesiologist Dr. Rhondeau.
I told him to make sure I didn't wake up in the middle of it.
Then I thought I would close my eyes 
until they came back to get me.
Well the next time my eyes opened, my surgery was over.
I bet they had a good laugh putting me under, 
when I was already out.

Waking up was not fun.  I felt like I couldn't breathe. 
The nurse was taking care of too many people.
She gave me some pain medicine, which made my blood pressure drop really low causing the machines to beep.
I could feel myself going in and out of conciseness.  
She told me to take big breaths, and everything calmed down.
I was entertained by the lady next to me who just knew she was dying.  She told them to get her a preacher,
and to call someone or other who lived near Park City.  
They told her she was fine, 
and asked her if she suffered from panic attacks.
I felt bad for her, but then she snapped out of it.

They finally rolled me down the hall 
and we picked Kelly up on the way.
He squeezed my hand. He had been in the waiting room for 4 hours!
The cafeteria was closed, 
so he ate lunch and dinner out of a vending machine.

My final nurse in the post-op room was named Catherine.
I was glad, because that's my mom's name, and she's in California.
So it was like she was there in some form.
We loved Catherine, she was so funny.  
She told us about her rebellious son.
I told her to listen to the talk tape 
"How to Hug a Teenage Porcupine."
She got us out of there around 9:45 p.m.
We drove to Sheila's,
who was so nice to watch the girls all day for us.  
I missed them like crazy.
Pearl threw up, and came down with a fever while we were gone.
We got home, and I got in bed with my cuddle bug,

while Kelly took care of Pearl.
She has been laying on the couch for the past 2 days.
I hate that I can't take care of her.
My Grandpa sent me flowers.
I knew they were from him as soon as I saw
the red and white carnations.
That is what he always sends.
I love flowers.
 I bought a moo-moo at Wal-mart to lounge around in.
I love it so much, I wish I had bought two.
 I haven't been able to feed Violet 
while I'm taking pain meds.
She hates formula, and has been so sad.
My friends Rachel and Sarah 
pumped some extra milk for Violet.
She was so happy, and I'm so grateful.
and Kelly is my hero.
He's taken care of his recuperating wife,
feverish daughter,
and fussy baby without any complaints.
He is the best.


I really hate having surgery,
and I hope to not do it again any time soon.

the end.

16 comments:

CC said...

(((HUGS))))

Can I help you with the little ones? Pearl would have fun playing with Mia and Taci.

Praying for you.

~Carol

Cole and Mindy Smith said...

Oh Stac! I am so sorry. IF I was there, I would help you too. Surgery is NOOOOT fun. Get better soon my dear!

gilvearbebes said...

What a great husband! And you handled it all so well and so positively. I hope you recover quickly! You have the cutest family.

Mandi said...

Yuck you just created major bad flashbacks for me. This exact same thing happened to me after I had my first baby, except I did wake up during surgery, it was probably only for like two seconds but that two seconds is forever imprinted in my mind. Ouch. YOu are so lucky to have kelly there to take care of your kids and you, Get well soon.

Cristyannie said...

I hope you never have to have surgery again! Kelly is such a great dad! I really need to buy one of those moo-moo's.

the Horton Hurricane said...

I just really wish I could do something for you guys please let me know OK? I love you

cathy bubert said...

Hope you are feeling good soon!
Love the moo-moo and I love you!

Kyle and Katie said...

I hope your recovery continues to go well! sounds like your husband is superman :)

Jessica Duff said...

Stacey! I had no idea, I'm so sorry! I wish that I could be there to help take care of you and your adorable girls. I hope you start feeling better soon. My Mom had her gallbladder out on Wednesday and had to stay in the hospital until Friday. I hope you both feel much better very soon. Love you Stacey, take care of yourself!

grandma to 16 said...

You looked so pale when you and Kel picked up the girls thursday night~~Of course I didn't tell you, since you already felt pretty weak!!!(smile) I hope each day it is getting a little better for you! lots of prayers for your little family~

ly, sj

Jason and Audrey said...

Stac - I'm sorry! That sounds awful. Good luck with recuperating. I hope you got the pillowcase I left.
Audrey

RoseAnna said...

What the heck? I am so sorry. What an aweful ordeal with a new baby and all! So sorry my darling! Feel better soon! PS-Violet is beautiful!

Kent said...

Wow, It sounds like you guys have had more then your fair share of challenges. I hope you get feeling better soon. I can't even imagine all of that. You guys are amazing! PLEASE, PLEASE let us know if you guys need anything at all. We would love to help in any way.

-Kent & Ashley

Cameron and Rachel Bott said...

Dearest Stacey,

Please feel better soon! I miss my friend. Let me know if we can do anything more for you, Mabel would really love to play with Pearl.

Love you!

Cody said...

It makes me sad to read this but I'm glad everything is ok now. Love ya stace!

Kristen said...

Aw Stac! I went thru the exact same thing almost 3 years ago. Horrible! But, trust me, you'll feel so good in the weeks to come when you don't have that aweful pain anymore. Just thinking about it makes me cringe! yucky!!! Hope you're feeling way better!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...