Saturday, June 13, 2009

a tale of a rainy afternoon.

It has rained and rained for the space of many days.
I'm not complaining.
I love the rain.
Pearl on the other hand has become quite stir crazy.
We were pleased as punch to see the sun was somewhat out today.
She begged to go outside, as she has everyday this week.
This time, I obliged.
I slathered her in SPF 50,
put on a summery outfit,
and waited while she grabbed some accessories.


We were all ready to go.

Then the sky became dark.

very dark.

It all happened so fast.

Faster than you can say

"I love sunshine."

I thought about how I would break the news to Pearl.

Once I realized our park date wouldn't happen,
my thoughts turned to our un-mowed lawn.
I looked down to see the neglected grass inching over the sidewalk.
That was the last conversation I had with my dear husband this morning.

"Our grass needs to be cut." He said. "I'll take care of it when I get home from work."

I took a good look at the sky.
Those clouds were heavy, and they weren't going to hold.


A drop fell on my arm, and I knew I didn't have much time.
I wheeled Pearl's stroller into the garage so she could watch.
She made some phone calls to kill time.

I ripped the cord out as fast as I could.

nothing.

I topped off the gas, and sprayed the intake with some spray that
Kelly uses.

Start out low, explode backward as I pull.

nothing.

repeat three times, add prayer.

nothing.

I know it's bad for it to try so many times or whatever,
but it so desperately needed to be mowed.

Just before I threw in the towel, I gave it one last tug,
one that used very little effort.
the engine
brumbled
brumbled
brumbled.

and I went for it.

I waved at Pearl each time I passed.
She was still blabbing away on her phone.

Then it really started to rain.
I forged my way back and forth, and back and forth.
Circling this tree, pushing up that slope.
All the while cursing Kelly's name.

(Then I took it back. He is so totally cute.)

I took the last swipe, and dragged a screaming Pearl into the safety of our house.
I thought I would let her stand on the back porch
so she could realize how much she hates getting wet.

She didn't hate it though, She loved it.



It all came to a halt when thunder rolled across the sky.


I made her come in.

She didn't like that.


There was a lot of sadness.


There was a lot of anger.

There might have even been some air kicking even.



Then she came to terms with it.



And we admired the storm from our nice warm house.

Oh, and the yard looks terrible.
Absolutely terrible. I am one bad lawn mower.

11 comments:

Jason and Audrey said...

You are so fun. Can I tell you about my days, and you can make it sound fun and write it in my journal?! Honestly, I wish I saw the world the way you do! What talent. So, uh, speaking of talent, when can I get a haircut?

grandma to 15 said...

Stacey,

you make seeing Pearl's world sooooooo much fun!! I love that shot of her from behind looking out the window!

The ponytail gets to me everytime!(smile)

love ya - sheila jean

Cristyannie said...

Stace-
Seriously you are so amazing at writing things. I really feel like I was there for that day...I'm just going to pretend like I was. I love Pearl's outfit!

the Horton Hurricane said...

I swear I can remember being a little girl and watching the rain I might of even thrown a few fits now and than. I love these pics of Pearl I want her shoes.

Chelsea said...

What a cute post! Hey I think we saw you guys at the Gateway on Friday? Sorry we couldn't stop the flow of traffic to say hello. Pearl is adorable.. she looks just like her Mommy. I know how she feels about this rain, we are going crazy around here! Hope the sun comes out for good soon.

Kent said...

Love the post! Pearl is so cute even when she is throwing fits.

Rachel said...

Stacey you crack me up. I am so glad that my daughter isn't the only one that seems to throw tantrums. Sometimes I feel like I am alone in dealing with them. Love how you got pictures of her in the act. I should do that to Jaidy, maybe people would get a kick out it as I did of PEARL!

Cody said...

This was hilarious. I love all your adventures. Pearl is the cutest little thing in the world.

Tara Trythall said...

You are HILARIOUS! I am sick as a dog and your post totally made my day!

Kyle and Katie said...

Stacey you are so funny! I love your blog! Its always entertaining. Cute little Pearl...of course she didn't mind getting wet. figures, right.

jillian said...

I love your blog!! you are an amazing writer. I could just see it all happening!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...